Friday 25 March 2016

Author Interview: Erika Kochanski

Today on the blog I'm talking with Erika Kochanski, author of Polarity and Indecision! On a quick aside, I'd like to apologize for the short hiatus on the blog the past week or so - I took a break from social media for the week of my birthday, but should be getting back into regular posts now!

The Author: Erika Kochanski was born and raised in Brisbane, Australia, and graduated with a Bachelor's degree majoring in writing and literature from Griffith University. Writing has been a lifelong dream, travel an ever growing passion, and when given the option to live out of a suitcase in a foreign city while writing about the world the answer is always 'Let's go!'


Goodreads // Blog


The Book:





~


Interview Questions:

When did you decide or realize you wanted to write?


I wanted to be a writer as a child already. I used to write ghost stories for myself after I finished my homework after school everyday. I hung out for Wednesday's when my family would take their weekly trip to the local public library.


What does your general process usually look like, from initial idea to published book?  Do you outline or wing it?  Write digitally, or by hand? 


Everything for me is digital, and the ideas just come to me and I collect them and expand on them. I usually have several folders put aside on my computer just accumulating imagery or writing files for me to see what takes off and what doesn't. Sometime over time folders end up merging when the ideas work right. I don't outline the entire story, so I suppose I wing it, but I generally have an idea of where I want it to go. I don't write in a linear progression of events, but more I write several events at different times depending on my mood and piece them together later. Sometimes that means a little extra rewriting, but more often than not I come up with better ideas than if I had of just followed a timeline and stuck to it.


What was the idea or spark that led to your latest book?


 Some of it is personal, although the story is complete fiction, but things in my own life tend to inspire my writing. At least as an adult. I like to think of it as taking pieces of the world that you already know and cutting them up into squares, then throwing them up in the air and watching as they come together as a completely different puzzle of events and people that you wouldn't have expected before. There is definitely a lot of myself in Polarity and Indecision, that's for sure.


Do you listen to music while you write, or do you enjoy the silence?


 Generally speaking I require silence. Occasionally a television might be running in the background, but for me to get any decent kind of work done on a story I need peace and quiet. Most of my best writing has happened when I was at home alone.


What does your work space look like?


 Ha, well, that changes. I am a traveller, so one day my workspace might be my room (which is light and bright with clean simple lines and a few travel knick-knacks) but the next day I might be fighting for space in a hostel common room or sitting in a quiet cafe. Sometimes when I need to get a real lot of work done I like to hire out a hotel comfortable hotel room for a couple days and just let myself be alone without interruption.

What type of research, if any, goes into your novels?

Mostly I just research as a situation requires it. Sometimes, like with Polarity and Indecision, I have to get people to look at certain situations to make sure they're reasonably accurate and realistic. I had a conversation in the original draft that I was never quite happy with, and when I presented it to a friend to read he said, "Two guys don't talk like that to each other." I knew straight away that he was right, that it was the entire issue with the scene, and after a long deliberation I decided to cut it because it never really fit right. It's always hard to cut out big sections of your work, but if they're inaccurately portraying the world that you're trying to create you'll end up losing your audience. Sometimes you have to research facts (e.g. does a hospital really operate in this way?) and sometimes it's more of a question of social interaction and if what you have written is plausible to your reader.


What are your interests and hobbies outside of writing?


Travelling and running. I try to go out running 3-5 afternoons a week and I save like a demon to make sure my travel dreams can become a reality.


Favourite snacks while working (if any?). 


Wow, so many. Haha. Sometimes all I want is water and coffee, but other times I want chocolate, popcorn, licorice or cookies. I think it depends on how emotionally attached to what I am writing and how involved in the process of expression I am. If I am in a writing frenzy generally I'm not snacking just keeping my fluids up. Other times I'm spending and entire weekend in my bed clothes just trying to get an idea out of my system and I continuously snack on little meals throughout (mostly so I have to get up and walk away from the computer as often as possible so I don't go cross-eyed).


Who are some of your biggest inspirations as a writer?


This changes a lot over time, but two books that have affected me very deeply are Colin Falconer's Anastasia and Vanessa Diffenbaugh's The Language of Flowers. When I was younger I also used to read a lot of Stephen King and Melanie La'Brooy (very different genres of course).


What can you tell us about your latest project?


I have several ideas as always, but I'm not sure which one is going to take the lead yet so we will just have to wait and see.


Speed Round!

Films or TV shows?


TV shows LOST and Sherlock are my favourites. Films would be Wild, The Secret Life of Walter Mitty, Hector and the Search for Happiness, and my guilty-pleasure Pitch Perfect (it's my go-to when I'm feeling down).


Singles or entire albums?


I'm actually into Soundtracks and Compilations.

Sweet, savoury or salty?

All in one please.


Favourite season?


I live in the tropics so everything is usually Summer for me all year long, so when I travel I love experiencing the different seasons. I love them all equally.


Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram?


Facebook. I've done them all, but I streamlined my social media because it was becoming a little overwhelming so now I just have Facebook and Google+.


~

There you have it, folks! You can read samples of and purchase Erika's books here, and as always, give her a shout on social media if you enjoyed the interview! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Duke Won't Do by Jessie Clever (Book Review)

"Let me make one thing perfectly clear," he growled right before his mouth came down on hers. The perfect cozy, wholesome romance ...

Labels